Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

I have a male Yorkie, , about 5yrs old we found m around

Customer Question

I have a male Yorkie, Bailey, about 5yrs old we found him around 7months ago and he has been the best behaved most loving dog, aside from a bit of separation anxiety, but understandable. Hes potty trained, only barks to let you know something, and is the most cuddling kiss giver you've ever met. I was first to pick him up and my family thinks he imprinted because Bailey became my shadow. But My 5 year old nephew is visiting with older brother and sister and my dog has become obesessed with the 5 year old. Following him, extremely distressed and cries when he isn't near the boy and the most odd, Bailey keeps trying to mount and hump him. We walk Bailey on a very regular schedule 2x a day, he'll let you know if your late it's his favorite activity, but he wont even go for one unless the boy comes and is to busy with him to do his business. He ignores my sister and I (usually his 2favorite people) Bailey is friends with many neighbor dogs and young kids and has been around both often and for long periods of time and has never displayed any of this behavior. I have no clue what's going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

It is very possible that this child represents something in Bailey's past.

The fact that you found Bailey only seven months ago means you have not fully seen all that he is as behaviors displayed by a dog that was raised in a different place can take a year to two years to fully show.

The humping is taking ownership of the child and that should not be allowed to happen. To a dog, children are always seen as being below them so it is a way of trying to control.

If the dog knows the leave it command I would use that each time he goes toward the boy , then put him in a heel and you, or other adult,lead him to the child , put him in a sit and then allow the child to pet him. It is important that you take control of some situations and then praise and reward him for acting appropriately.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?