Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She is 6 patter dale terrier. Got rabies vaccine last

Customer Question

She is 6 patter dale terrier. Got rabies vaccine last Friday. Today I notice a lump in her haunch and she's limping a bit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: No except that we are going to board her for ten days starting on Monday we are going on vacation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the lump on the same region where she got the vaccine?

2- What leg is she limping?

3- Is the lump above or below the skin?

4- How big is the lump?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's hiding from me. The vet took her my husband didn't see her get the vaccine. It's under the skin it doesn't seem to hurt to touch it. But she does favor just a bit.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's small it's about
Some of quarter does stick out. I didn't notice it until today she had been acting standoffish and not been hanging
Out with the family since she received the shot. She is a very sensitive dog. Gets upset easliy

1- Does the lump move with skin or is it firmly attach to underlying tissue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, there are many different types of lumps that affect the skin in dogs. Could this be related to the vaccines? Yes, there are times where there could be a localized inflammation where the vaccine was given; this generally is not malignant and will disappear within a month or so. Or, this could be something unrelated to the vaccine like a lipoma, a cyst, etc. I would have her checked by family vet, they will know where they gave the vaccine and if this is consistent with a vaccine induced granuloma.

If your vet finds that this is not related to the vaccine I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

As far as the lameness, I don't believe this is related to the vaccine. There are many different causes for a lameness. Common causes are a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, arthritis, etc. to name a few causes. Upon rechecking the lump with family vet I would have family vet perform an orthopedic examination. In addition, discuss with your vet about a trial with an anti inflammatory medication like rimadyl. In the meantime rest her, no running or jumping; activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.