Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have moved from mi to texas and i have not yet found a new

Customer Question

I have moved from mi to texas and i have not yet found a new vet for my dog. She needs thyroid meds and has been doing well but i dont think i can afford a vet bill for the thyroid recheck to get a new prescription. Does she really need to be rechecked?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she been on thyroid medication for? When was the last time she was seen and had labwork performed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She had lab work done 3/2015
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She had been on the meds for 4 years
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She takes .4 LEVOTHYROXINE in morning and in evening.

Okay thanks for the additional information. I know most clinica by law require a veterinary client patient relationship prior to prescribing any drugs to a pet. So in most cases this will require the cost of an office visit. As far as the blood most protocols require testing at least every 6 months. A couple of suggestions to see if you can help keep the costs down is that some clinics offer a discount or a free office visit for first time clients or clients that are referred. So I would look for those type of clinics. Also you can ask the new veterinarian about running the minimal tests needed to check for the thyroid levels and let them know what the prices are.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why do they need to keep rechecking if the dog appears stable so long term?

If you have a new veterinarian they would have to check it prior to providing a prescription. Because if the levels are off for whatever reason the drug may cause issues and then the veterinarian may be held liable by the veterinary board. Once established somewhere then there are some veterinarians that may offer a waiver to meds as long as you have a yearly visit with them. But if you are starting new then you will most likely have to have labwork prior to getting a prescription for liability reasons.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ah ok

You can try those suggestions to keep the bill as low as possible. I know some veterinarians may offer free 1st time office visits which they may make known on the company website.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne