Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He doesn't seem to have trouble pooping, but he keeps

Customer Question

He doesn't seem to have trouble pooping, but he keeps licking his anus like its agitated, and I just noticed blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Koda & he is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kola?
Customer: He's a Shepard / lab mix and I've been exercising him more than normal the last few months, and he swims every other day in a Kiddie pool or a river
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he rubbing his butt on the floor?

2- Can you take a look at the anal sphincter and surrounding tissue for any swelling?

3- Does he have diarrhea?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you!
1 no, he is not rubbing is butt on the floor.
2 it looks redder than normal, but I don't think it is particularly swelled.
3 no, his stools are pretty solid, they are only runny when we go for a long walk (3+ miles) & it's his second poop on the walk.
4 he has a yeast ear infection, caused from swimming, but that was pre-existing before the butt irritation.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I guess there could be a little swelling, it is hard for me to tell

1- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has some ear drops to reduce swelling hydro b 1020. And once a week synotic
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
See photo

Thank you for the picture. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, the topical medications he is on should not cause irritation or bleeding in the anal sphincter. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, a very common cause for the symptoms that you are describing is an impacted/infected anal gland. Other possible causes could be: A foreign body, inflammation of the colon, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian in the morning. If this is related to an infected anal gland it is not a life threatening condition, the vet will express the anal glands and start him on prescription oral medication. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter