Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog has developed skin allergies, wondering short of

Customer Question

My dog has developed skin allergies, wondering short of giving him benedril everyday, which may not be good for him, is there something I can get for him to aleviate his itching. He's 3 yrs old, otherwise healthy. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it. what do you think?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.

Benadryl is very safe to give every day so if it works I would definitely use that. There are really no reports of issues in dogs with long term use.

In dogs allergens get on the skin and then go through the skin to cause an allergic reaction. So frequent bathing can help. I have to wash my own 90 pound dog three times a week or he gets dermatitis (rash).

Try to wash his feet after he comes in from outside to remove allergens. You can use a wash cloth and water or sensitive skin baby wipes.

Unfortunately he is not going to grow out of it. Sorry.

Topically you can apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream three times a day as needed. It is not toxic if ingest.

Your vet can do a blood test to see what he is allergic to. Then he could receive allergy shots to desensitize him to the allergens.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruce Miller. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby