Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

We have a 5 year old cocker spaniel, he has had seizure

Customer Question

Hello, We have a 5 year old cocker spaniel, he has had seizure since 1.5 years old. He had a cluster attack at 2 years old, we started with Phenol increased as time went on then it was not effective at the high limit, plus his liver enzymes were high, switched to Levetricet, had to increase to the max level, plus potassium bromide and gabapentin. We can increase these if needed. he has had only a few seizures in the past 6 months. A few weeks ago he had a bacterial infection, went on antibiotics and was better, came back a couple of days ago, back on antibiotics. We had blood work done and hi white cells were high and is mucsle enzymes were really high. They could not tell us a whole lot about that. I am assuming its liver related? We do have a new rescue puppy at the house. She has a parasite, The Coker does not.. Any comments?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that your cocker spaniel is unwell. What is his name? I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

Can you describe the nature and location of the bacterial infection he had? Was it from a wound, for example?

​Do you know the name of the antibiotic(s) he was/is on, and what dose?

Have the seizures occurred more frequently while he has been dealing with the infection?

What was the parasite identified in your puppy?

Do you have a copy of his recent bloodwork handy?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have all the info until I get home tonite, He had diareaha from the bacteria infection, Yes he only had eizures while having the stomach problems, I can get the other info tonite...
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

That's fine with me. I'm interested in the blood work and the antibiotics in particular because the typical muscle enzyme (CK) is not highly associated with liver disease (but it can be in smaller amounts), and high white cells are more indicative of inflammation or infection, than of liver disease. We can continue chatting later if you would like.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, I will be in touch the parasite was Guardia, amoxicillian 500mg, metronondozle 250MG
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

No worries. We'll chat later.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It was the CK,
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. Sorry about the delayed response. I just got home from my day job.

​If the blood was taken soon after a seizure (sometimes even an undetected one), there can be a residual elevation in CK due to the excessive muscle activity that occurs during a seizure. This would typically drop off over the following days, and I would not expect it to be continuously high after a week (unless the CK at the time of the seizure was extremely high and has a long way to return to normal).

Given the high white cells combined with the high CK, another possibility worth ruling out is protozoal parasite infection, such as Toxoplasma and Neospora. Both can be tested by your vet through blood tests, by serology (antibodies indicating previous exposure), and possibly PCR (depending on what your local labs can run). Both parasites can infect the brain and spinal cord, as well as the muscles, liver, lungs, eyes and various other organs. Typically, disease is detected in the form of neurological abnormalities, including seizures. I would say it's worth testing for, since you can actually treat both conditions and "cure" the disease.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Chris