Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 28 lb. dog ate a Kid's Clif Chocolate Chip Z-Bar. : : 1

Customer Question

My 28 lb. dog ate a Kid's Clif Chocolate Chip Z-Bar.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Kid's dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penelope
JA: How old is Penelope?
Customer: 1 year yesterday.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penelope?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many ounces was the bar?

2- How long has it been since she ate it?

3- Type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. NET WT 1.27 oz.
2. Within the last hour
3. Ingredient list only says "Organic Chocolate Chips"
4. Yes

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I found the ingredients for the Kid's Clif Chocolate Chip Z-Bar, it has unsweetened organic chocolate. Upon calculating the toxic dose for 1.2 oz for a 28 lbs dog it can be life threatening. I would recommend to try to induce vomiting with peroxide, this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit I would have her checked by nearest ER veterinarian for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter