Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

She licks her vagina area constantly. I have tried

Customer Question

She licks her vagina area constantly. I have tried menopausal type medications recommended by vet. That didnt work
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: It is awful! Her name is ***** ***** she is 12.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?
Customer: She also drags her butt constantly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What is the name of the menopausal medication that was recommended? Did she have her urine tested for any infection? Has she ever had any issues with allergies?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Diethylene? Yes she has been tested. No allergies.
This has been going on for months now.

Did the urine test come back negative for an urinary tract infection? One common cause for scooting in dogs is an anal gland issue. Has her anal glands been checked? A couple of suggestions that I have is an anal gland issue ruled out then you may want to also ask your veterinarian about performing additional diagnostics to rule out any issues with the bladder such as stones or crystals.