Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Yorkie has been peeing all over the house, including the

Customer Question

My Yorkie has been peeing all over the house, including the sofa, soft stool and throwing up yellow foam.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, it's been happening over the last couple of weeks.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Piper, and she's around 3.5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper,?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

My job in such a patient is to clarify if Piper is inappropriately eliminating due to a urinary tract infection, uroliths (urinary stones), or both or, instead, is exhibiting marking behavior and requires revisiting potty training. A medical problem always should be investigated first because it can't be trained away.

Supportive evidence of a urinary tract infection (UTI) includes stranguria (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) and hematuria (blood in the urine). Drinking excessively and forming a higher volume of urine can occur when a UTI involves the kidneys or a metabolic disorder co-exists. Vomiting may be seen because UTIs can nauseate. Supportive evidence of a behavioral problem includes urinating on objects heavily scented by caretakers such as the sofa and stool. Please note, however, that a medical problem can precipitate a behavioral one and so one doesn't preclude the other.

Please have Piper's vet obtain urine by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of Piper's bladder through her abdominal wall. This is the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine and surprisingly well-tolerated by dogs. A complete urinalysis is then performed. If the urine is dilute, a bacterial culture and sensitivity should be considered because finding bacteria in dilute urine on which the urinalysis is peformed can be difficult. If Piper is drinking excessively blood work should also be performed. Drinking excessively can indicate hepatic and renal problems, diabetes mellitus, pyometra (in an unspayed dog), and a number of other less common metabolic disorders.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.