Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog has had one black poop. I see her poop everyday and

Customer Question

my dog has had one black poop. I see her poop everyday and this is the first. She is still playful and eating. Should wait for another poop, or take her to the vet immediately?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lily
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?
Customer: no, all else is normal. She eats a very healthy diet of brown rice broccoli and ground turkey.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Lily! Can you tell me, has she had any vomiting? Was the poop normal consistency? Or runny? Or harder than usual? Has she had any new treats or foods she hasn't eaten before? Is she on any medications? Can you look at her gums and tell me if they are pink or if they appear pale at all or have little pinpoint dark red spots on them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no vomiting, consistency was small and a harder than usual. She is not on medication. Gums look good, pink and no pinpoints. No food that is not normal She has a good diet of brown rice, broccoli and ground turkey
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Ok, great. Is she having any difficulty breathing at all? Have you noticed if her urine is darker in color or has any blood in it?

Is there any rodent poisons in your home or yard she could have gotten into?

The thing we worry about with dark or tarry colored stools is bleeding in the upper digestive tract. This can be due to many causes, including ulcers, clotting disorders, trauma, foreign bodies, infections and inflammation, tumors, blood from the respiratory tract being swallowed, etc. The digested blood can look black. Sometimes dogs can also eat things that may change the color of their stools, so if she is otherwise normal, it is possible she ate something outside that altered her stool appearance, but if she has another abnormal stool or starts having changes in her appetite/energy level, breathing, urination, or has vomiting, then she should be examined. Here is an article with information on melena (dark or tarry stools as a result of digested blood) FYI: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_melena

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your dog. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay