PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My shitzuh male is 6 years old he was fixed when he was a

Customer Question

my shitzuh male is 6 years old he was fixed when he was a pup now his penis is enlarged and he stands all humped up and acts like he is in pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hi Ben, thanks for your question. Is this something that happens consistently or intermittently?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Intermittently

Hello again, Ben. Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry for the delay.

It sounds like Bandit is experiencing an erection. When this happens within the prepuce (sheath) males can find it uncomfortable so they will hunch forward and sometimes try to stretch to alleviate the discomfort. The fastest way to get these to subside is to try to redirect their attention from whatever may have caused it (often it's something exciting like company coming over, toys, sometimes food, etc.)

Neutering keeps a male from being able to reproduce, but it does not keep the male from having erections. So long as blood flow is not interrupted, males will continue to have erections throughout their lives.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy