Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My schnaucher yorkie mix gets very very anxious when going

Customer Question

My schnaucher yorkie mix gets very very anxious when going to groomer so much the groomer refuses to work on her she is 3 years old I have heard that you can give valium to calm your dog but what would the dose be for a 23 lb dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please just answer question and don't try to sell me anything else
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
why are you taking so long to answer

Hello again,

My role here as a vet is just to answer your question and nothing more, I am not involved in the payment system.

But rest assured I am typing out your answer now, and will answer it to the best of my ability ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again John,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. When you use valium { diazepam } in the dog there is a range of dose rates depending whether you want just very light or deeper sedation this would between 0.25 and 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally. Where I prescribe this class of drug for the first time I always start at a very low dose to observe the effect on individual animals.

2. Where I supply clients with information on drugs or dose rates I always supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the information : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again John,

I am just checking back in to see how Phoebe is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Valium in dogs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.