Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We had our nearly 10 year old boxer on a walk tonight. He

Customer Question

Hi...we had our nearly 10 year old boxer on a walk tonight. He was running around with another dog and when he came back to us he was a bit wobbly then just fell over. He tried to get up a couple times but we held him down for a bit. Once he was back on his feet he seemed fine, though he does seem to be limping a bit and walking a bit sideways (nothing extreme). His gums look normal, he's drinking water, barking at the usual stuff. Possible he had a seizure? I worry bc he is older. Anything we can do for him ir anything to watch out for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While a seizure is always possible, in a Boxer of ten years of age this sort of sudden onset incoordination and collapse syndrome is more often associated with some sort of chronic heart problem, particularly if your dog was having strenuous exercise at the time.

2. Sadly with whatever is going on it would be very unlikely that you will be able to handle this yourself on a home remedy basis so all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured until you can arrange to have a vet check him over.

3. Even if this turns out to be heart related then there are a range of prescription heart drugs which can often greatly help.

Your first move though is to have a vet check him over so you are sure exactly what you are dealing with ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Will try to get him in tomorrow. Are they able to run tests to determine heart conditions? Would something like that not have been caught before now?

Hello again,

Your vet will probably be able to have a very good idea as to the health of his heart just by examining him and carefully listening to his heart with a stethoscope but further diagnostics such as ECG and ultrasound are possible. Older Boxers commonly get heart murmurs and such which are not of too much significance so it can be tricky, but yes you can sometimes get suddenly caught out with heart disease in the dog ...

Taking him in tomorrow for a check over has to be the right thing to do, but in the meantime I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Boxer is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his sudden collapse ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.