Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Aye some Tomcat rat poison it was the block kind : Yes a

Customer Question

Aye some Tomcat rat poison it was the block kind
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes a corner off Tomcat block
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Diabetic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. The problem with the Tomcat brand rat and mouse poisons is that the active ingredient is bromethalin. This ingredient is not an anticoagulant that causes bleeding like many rat/mouse poisons. Instead, it acts on the central nervous system and causes brain swelling. You may not see symptoms for a few days after ingestion either. It doesn't have an antidote like the anticoagulant poisons either. If he just ingested this, you can induce vomiting by giving 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight (1 tablespoon per 15 lbs) of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. That dose can be repeated in 10 minutes if there is no vomiting. After inducing vomiting, I would get him right up to your vet's office to get activated charcoal administration, fluid therapy to help eliminate the toxin faster and seizure watch. If it has been more than 2 hours since ingestion, I would just forget about inducing vomiting and get him straight up to your vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.