Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just got bad news from my vet that my dog has liver,

Customer Question

I just got bad news from my vet that my dog has liver, spline and stomach cancer just trying to come to grips and maybe get a second opinion by no means nothing against the vet just maybe coming to grips with it all and maybe a second opinion.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and about nine he was a stray when we got him and the clinic said he was 1 to 1.5 years in age
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: Not that I know of he was throwing up and stools were soft but a couple months ago he was vibrant this all came on at once
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie's recent diagnosis. I know how hard it is to receive unexpected, awful news about your loved ones. Can you give me a little more information as to how this diagnosis was made?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They scoped him and found the cancer blood work didn't show this so they went in and found it

Ok, thank you. It sounds like your vet used some advanced imaging/equipment and did a thorough work up for Charlie. You must be devastated (again, I'm so sorry).

I think it is never wrong to seek a second opinion. In this case I recommend a specialist opinion, as they will be best suited to discuss your options. I'm happy to help find a board-certified oncologist in your area, if desired.

Hi, how are you and Charlie doing today? I know it takes time to process bad news. Are you still interested in a second opinion for him? Would you like me to help you find another veterinarian (a specialist, if desired) to evaluate Charlie?