Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My papillon went in to labor at about 7pm how should I wait

Customer Question

my papillon went in to labor at about 7pm how long should I wait before I need to worry about going to an emergency vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I understand that you are concerned about your girl and her pregnancy/labor.

Signs to look for that indicate the first stage of labor are restlessness and nesting behavior. Make sure she has a place set up for delivery now that she is very comfortable with. During her first stage of labor she will have some cramping and be restless but she won't actively be pushing. The first stage can last as long as 24 hours.

When she progresses to the second stage of labor that is the active stage of labor, she should be actively pushing and will be obviously uncomfortable. The first puppy should be born within 2 hours of you noticing her straining and it is usually faster then that.

There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble.

The problem can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions). She may need help getting the pup out of the fetal membranes. You can also help by tying off the umbilical cords with clean thread about a 1 inch from the body wall.

There should be a placenta delivered with each puppy. Some dogs will want to eat the placentas but I recommend removing them so they do not lead to stomach upset

When she is done delivering all the pups expect her to expel some blood, fluids and the remaining tissues from the pup's placentas.

If your girl has been in stage 2 labor (active pushing) since 7pm she needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis immediately in hopes of having live puppies, and saving her life too.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****