How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14884
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 80 lb pitt mix just ate 2 boxed of roach poison, what

Customer Question

My 80 lb pitt mix just ate 2 boxed of roach poison, what should I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Mystic ingested two boxes of roach poison.

  1. What is the active ingredient in the poison?
  2. How many ounces was each box?
  3. Did she eat the container too, or just the poison? Was the container plastic or cardboard?
  4. Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Active ingredient chlorpyrifix (spelling?)
Chewed up container and ate the plastic cubes (houses)
Yes hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Thanks very much for the information.

Chlorpyrifos is an organophosphate insecticide, an older class of insecticides which can be toxic for dogs too.

No observable effects of drug toxicity were when amounts less than 0.03 mg/kg/day were ingested, or less than 1.09mgs in an 80 pound dog.

Signs of toxicity from Chlorpyrifos occurred at 1 mg/kg or ingesting more than 36mgs in an 80 pound dog.

The first effects are usually respiratory and may include bloody or runny nose, coughing, shortness of breath, and wheezing due to constriction or excess fluid in the bronchial tubes. Skin contact with organophosphates may cause localized sweating and involuntary muscle contractions. Eye contact may cause pain, bleeding, tearing, pupil constriction (small pupils), and blurred vision.

Systemic effects may begin within a few minutes or be delayed for up to 12 hours. These may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, dizziness, eye pain, blurred vision, constriction or dilation of the eye pupils, tears, drooling, sweating, and confusion. Severe poisoning will affect the central nervous system, producing incoordination, loss of reflexes, weakness, severe lethargy, involuntary muscle contractions, twitching, especially of the tongue or eyelids, and eventually paralysis of the limbs and the respiratory muscles. In severe cases there may also be fecal or urine incontinence, irregular heart beats, unconsciousness, seizures, and coma. Death may be caused by respiratory failure or cardiac arrest.

In some cases symptoms can be delayed and we may see neurologic symptoms as much as 1-4 weeks later.

In order to determine how worried you need to be you need to figure out whether she ate more than 1mg of chlorpyrifos. If not she should not show symptoms of toxicity from that. Did she eat more than 1mg?

Unfortunately because she ate plastic too it isn't safe to induce vomiting at home.

The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the sharp plastic pieces out is much too high.

My hope is that she at least chewed the cubes up well before she swallowed as that will make passage a little easier.

I'll be back with information about how to ease plastic through her gastrointestinal tract.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the pieces slip rather than catch.

For the next few days, until the pieces pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated and isn't contracting on just sharp metal.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2-4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are coughing, wheezing, vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), twitching or seizures, and lethargy.

If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the pieces are would be best. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.

Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.

if in doubt at all that things aren't going well it is best to have him examined.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****