Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We started a new bag of dog food (same brand and kind) and I

Customer Question

Hello - we started a new bag of dog food (same brand and kind) and I believe it made 1 of our dogs sick (the one that eats that food). He peed in the house, had diarrhea and vomited 2 days after I started the new bag. I started him on chicken and rice for 2 days and then tried to incorporate his dog food with the chicken and rice, but that was not a good idea. He has been urinating frequently and still has diarrhea - I have him on a chicken and rice diet for the past 2 days with no dog food but he still has diarrhea and is urinating frequently
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: we don't think so
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: he has a very sensitive stomach and it gets easily upset if he eats anything out of the norm, but he is urinating so much more frequently that I'm beginning to worry
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear that your dog is showing these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes of increased urination in dogs and a first morning urine sample evaluation (collected in a tupperware container, refrigerated if more than an hour old), examination, and bloodwork is warranted to determine the origin or these symptoms. In addition, since there is diarrhea a fecal evaluation should be considered.

Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting him treated and hopefully resolve the symptoms currently experiencing.

It is odd that it is within a few days of a new bag of food. Often when we have diarrhea we have dehydration and reduced urination so the fact that Bear is urinating more frequently makes me think there is something going on with organ function that is causing the urinary changes and the stress associated with the origin is resulting in the additional diarrhea. Until you get that appointment please consider the white rice and chicken but add water to the mixture for added water intake and monitor his stream of urination (frequent stops to urinate, good steady stream, dripping and straining, etc).

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!