Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Pit puppy 7weeks old rihht eye is closed. She keeps rubbing

Customer Question

Pit bull puppy 7weeks old rihht eye is closed. She keeps rubbing it. Not sure if she was bit or somethi g.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nyla
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nyla?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Holding and eye closed and pawing at it is usually an indication of one of two things.... either there is something in the eye (a piece of grass or sticker is most common) or there is a scratch or ulcer on an eye (such as a cat scratch or running into a branch). Both of these problems are very uncomfortable and if he keeps scratching it can lead to perforation of the cornea. They can lose an eye in the worst cases. You really need drops to numb the eye in order to see what is going on and treat it appropriately. I would stop him from rubbing it right away. The rubbing is what often leads to perforation. Then get him looked at by a veterinarian ASAP.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know.

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy