Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

Puppy was playing with other puppies a bit bigger than m

Customer Question

Puppy was playing with other puppies a bit bigger than him (all were playing and having fun), but when I went home it looks like my pup has a swollen little bump on his face. I feel like he may have nicked his face on one of the teeth of another pup (other pup had his mouth open and I saw my pup bouncing up trying to get in his face), because there looks to be a little nick/dent in the bump. There isn't any actual puncture wound but I am worried about the swelling. I iced it a little (not sure if it works on pups), then cleaned the bump and applied an antibiotic cream on it. I also gave him a small dosage of an oral antibiotic. What else should I do to help swelling go down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this....can you tell me how much your puppy weighs and where on the face the swelling is located?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is 12 lbs and the swelling is along his snout
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I want you to give him 1/2 of a 25 mg Benedryl. Make sure it is pure benedryl and nothing else in the medication.....

what antibiotic did you give him and what mg dose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
clavamox .01 mg
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Is that clavamox liquid?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

ok that should be 50 mg/ that correct?

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

or possibly 25 mg/ml? Which one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is 62.5 mg/ml (and I apologize I gave 0.1 ml acgually)
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Should be 50 mg/ml and you should be giving 0.01 mls orally twice daily for 7 days. You can also give 1/2 of a 25 mg benedryl twice daily. Yes the clavamox is 50 mg of amoxicilin and 12.5 mg clavulinic acid

Can I answer any other questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything I should do aside from the oral med to reduce swelling?
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

icing the area and you can give 1 dose of aspirin only with food. Give (1) 81 mg baby aspirin to reduce swelling with a meal. Do not repeat dose. OK to give 12.5 mg benedryl now and every 12 hours for 3-4 doses.

Can I help you further tonight?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No that is all, thank you!
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Hope that helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional.

Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB