Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My two year old dachsund is dragging s nd legs. s tail is

Customer Question

My two year old dachsund is dragging his hind legs. His tail is still wagging though
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he dragging both legs?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I noticed he was lethargic yesterday, but this didn't start til today. He is dragging both legs, and he has no existing medical conditions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His appetite doesn't seem to have been affected, nor does his personality

Friend, when we see loss of motor function to the back legs of quick onset in a dachshund we need to rule out a pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc. In other words, there is a disc that is putting pressure on the spinal cord interfering the motor function of the back legs. This is an emergency, highly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian, the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will regain function to the back legs.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Debbie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A little improvement. Still dragging but seems to be gaining some function . we did notice that his testicles were extremely irritated and inflamed. That seems to be resolving. Healthy appetite, personality is still there. Doesn't seem to be in pain.

I am happy to learn he is doing better. Thank you for the update.