Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Here is what blood, echocardigraph, and xrays have shown

Customer Question

Here is what blood, echocardigraph, and xrays have shown for my almost 15 year old female Affinpinscher Charlie:
1. Heart disease (leaking values, right side) - still short of medication needed but progressive
2. Pulminary hypertension resulting from the heart issues – still short of medication needed but also progressive
3. Collasping treachea – medical treatment (medication) to be determined.
4. Cough
4. Enlarged liver
5. Large polyps protruding outside vagina
6. Heat cycles coming every 2-3 months
7. High WBC, low RBC – Anemic
8. High Neutrophils, Lymphocytes and Monocytes
9. High ReticulocytesAny ideas? She acts like she feels fine! Except for the huge polyps which are bothering her a lot. I tried 3 times to do spay surgery but each time they put her under (before the tests) her oxygen drops and she starts to hyperventilate and they had to wake her up. I adopted her 1 1/2 year ago soI dont know her history before that.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh forgot to add:
10. Grade IV/VI left apical systolic murmur and grade II/VI right sided systolic murmur
11. Mild chronic airway disease
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What I am asking is: would you recommend trying to get high risk spay surgery? what is her prognosois? Is there something else we are likely missing? Cancer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the polyps, Charlie
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Charlie, and that she has so many problems. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The frequent heat cycles are very worrying, as is the heart murmur and the pulmonary hypertension. These polyps are impressive in appearance as well; how long have they been there?

If she has heart disease and pulmonary hypertension I would be very reluctant to do anesthesia. Have the polyps been tested? I might start with doing FNA, fine needle aspiration to get cells from inside these polyps for microscopic examination. If they appear benign on FNA, and if she can urinate normally, I am not sure I would do surgery. If the FNA reveals cancer cells, then I would consult an oncologist before considering surgery.

Anesthesia, with heart disease and especially pulmonary hypertension, is risky. If she were mine and I was determined to spay her and to try to remove the polyps, I would only do it if a board certified veterinary anesthesiologist did the anesthesia.

I have never seen polyps like this myself. If this were my own dog or my patient, I would start with FNA to find out what these are.

Let me know what other questions you have, and if this is helpful.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is at the end of a cycle. They usually shrink back up I between but they are getting larger. It appeared about 1 year ago. Vet said to spay and then the trouble with the anesesthia started. She was a rescue and her paperwork said she was spayed but then heat cycle.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think the polyps could be done with local anthestia ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

That is possible. However I would first do FNA to determine they are indeed benign polyps, and not something more serious.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

A condition called vaginal hyperplasia can be related to the heat cycle, but usually you see one large mass from the vulva, not these polyps. If it is some form of vaginal hyperplasia, spaying her should help, but anesthesia would be risky.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry I did not hear back from you. Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else?

Please let me know how she is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is Charlie doing?