Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog is a 3 year old rescue. When we brought her home she

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My dog is a 3 year old rescue. When we brought her home she had a bad case of kennel cough which we were treating with antibiotics. When they finished she developed a bad case of bronchitis and conjunctivitis. She has been off of all the meds for almost a month and was doing great until yesterday when she seemed congested and started coughing today. She also seems to not be as energetic as she was. We did take her to a new place over the weekend (that was very clean) but she did have contact with several other dogs in a dog park. Is this something I should monitor or should I get her in right away?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nici.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nicia?
Customer: That's pretty much all of the history I have on her. I keep a close eye on her, and do my best to not let her get into anything that she shouldn't.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Most kennel cough resolves completely and doesn't come back once they are better. It makes me wonder if she has a really poor immune system or if something else is going on here. I do think she is probably going to need another round of antibiotics so you are probably going to have to take her in, but as to whether you should go right away... it depends on how she is feeling. How is her appetite? If she is not eating and lethargic or has a fever I would take her right away. If she is coughing a lot.... such as when they can't get comfortable and rest because they are coughing so much or if her breathing is fast or labored at all I would take her in right away.

If she seems relatively comfortable then I would keep an eye on her for any changes and make a appoint for when the vet can see her.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please rate my answer.