Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a rescued 8 or 9 year old german shepherd with severe

Customer Question

I have a rescued 8 or 9 year old german shepherd with severe allergies that I have given shots for a year and stopped due to lack of any improvement. Currently she is on apoquel and eating Zignature kangaroo but again she has not shown any improvement since spring. During the winter the medication seemed to slow down or stop most of the allergy symptoms but since spring she once again is itching and chewing a great deal. She had a blood test and it was determined that she has a severe allergy to chicken,wool,grass,mites and a number of other allergies. It gets so severe that she would sometimes chew a piece of her pad off. I was wondering what the best options are for her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to help with your question today. Was the blood test done by a veterinary dermatologist? The shots that were given by you for a year, I presume this was after the blood test confirmed her allergies?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The test was done by a labratory that the vet used. Yes the shots were after the test was done.The test was about 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried feeding her raw food as well as various other foods with no improvement at all.

Do you feel the shots helped at all while she was on them?

I see that she is on Apoquel and is still itching a lot. We need to make sure she doesn't have any secondary bacterial or yeast infections at this time, as those are going to make her itchy and the apoquel will not help those issues. Is her skin pretty red? Any crusting, scabs, or open spots?