Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

He seems to be drinking a lot of water and my husband said

Customer Question

He seems to be drinking a lot of water and my husband said he's now throwing up in the yard I think last night he Peed on the floor for the very first time ever
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No pretty much the same things he always eats
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** a ***** ***** and about 12 years old Not really sure on his age because we adopt from a shelter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russell?
Customer: His name is Petey.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like Petey could be quite ill. I'd highly recommend having him seen by a veterinarian ASAP.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you...but I know that without paying you $5.00... What do u think it could be...??? I don't have a lot of money to pay the vet bills

Unfortunately, there are multiple disease processes that can affect older pets who have increased thirst, urination and vomiting. My first rule outs would be kidney disease or liver disease but you'd need to have labwork performed to see if that is what is causing his illness.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you... I will call my vet!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We r done!
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Even though Petey is older, there is a chance that he has a minor digestive disturbance caused by something odd that he may have ingested. The fist thing to do for him is to follow these instructions:

Fast Petey for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Petey back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your Petey to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as Kidney disease or other metabolic issues, as the last vet mentioned. This is worth a try....it can be very effective if this is minor.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****