Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 11 yr Pom has had diarrhea all night. It was a little bit

Customer Question

My 11 yr Pom has had diarrhea all night. It was a little bit of blood in it. What could be wrong? He also is very sore under his arms, And I took his harness off....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood? A spoonful, more or less?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi DR B,
Max his gums are pink. He is tender underneath his arms and he yelps I don't know if that's where the stomach is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only thing Max would eat other than his own food would be grass outside. He doesn't eat toys or anything of that nature
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had a couple of small drops of blood in his diarrhea
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I would just note that his stomach is much lower down then when you are putting pressure. So, he could just be sensitive in general because his stomach hurts or we may have discomfort from an unrelated issue. So, we do need to keep an eye on that.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral colitis, whipworms, protozoa (ie coccidia, giardia, etc), general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely for Max). We can also see blood alongside anal gland issues and those can be quite sore, but usually they are tender around their back end or when the tail is lifted.

So, we do want to tread with care but we can try to soothe his stomach and settle his diarrhea. To start, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce diarrhea. As well, you can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these to just bulk his stool up quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Otherwise, if his stools are very runny and since it was only a few drops, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI..

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the diarrhea we are seeing. Still, the discomfort doesn't fit with this, so we do need to keep an eye on that. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he appears dehydrated already, is very sore, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. They can also check this likely unrelated discomfort (which may just be arthritis at his age). Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics, gut safe pain relief, +/- anti-parasitic treatment to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
8 yrs ago max was boarded at a pet sitters home and got guardia...
Max only has one anal gland and is not fixed( my ex wouldn't let him.)
He had surgery to fix gland.. He does have a sore around his anus.. I've been keeping it very clean..
Do u think I should take him to my vet? When he sometimes is picked up he yelps .. He's having a hard time climbing stairs right now.. He's more lethargic then he normally is...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

If he is very sore and crying with every lifting, then I do think it is worth having him seen since we don't want him to be suffering with pain. And if he is seen, then can dispense treatment for the sore and his diarrhea at the same time. Otherwise, I would suggest the above for his loose stool and if the discomfort in his joints (which also fits with the issue with stairs as well), then you could also consider at least an OTC joint support (ie glucosamine, chondroitin, duralactin, etc) to help with that as well.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Donna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

How if everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr B,
Max was very sick so I took him to his vet.. Max gave vet a stool sample right on the floor of his office. It was tested and eventually came back negative ...My vet put Max on an antibiotic that covers many things. He also was put on Royal canine intestinal dog food that it... He's doing better now sleeping a lot and no more diarrhea... I found it very hard to connect to ur service.. I pressed the "call me"button to have you call me by phone that never connected..oh and according to my vet records Max is 12yrs... Overall I should've just gone to my vet... Donna
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello Donna,

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your computer and our website. Still I am glad to hear that he is on the mend

Take care,

Dr. B.