Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Dog has a seizure about every hour, lasting about a minute.

Customer Question

dog has a seizure about every hour, lasting about a minute. Paces, disoriented. It has been hot here, we have been spraying her down. Vet won't be open for several more hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nakita, she is 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nakita?
Customer: We thought it was she was overheated, she keeps going to a corner and putting her nose in it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding.

With this many seizures I think it unlikely it is simply due to the heat. If this was heat stroke then she would have progressed to having other symptoms and this usually requires an emergency visit (can be life-threatening). I would be much more suspicious at her age that this reflects a primary cerebral (brain) problem such as stroke-type event, hypertension (high blood pressure), liver disease, toxicity (especially lead), or tumor. Certainly there are other possibilities such as infection (fungal, tick-borne bacterial, parasitic) but we more commonly see these in younger dogs. Epilepsy is highly unlikely as this usually starts in young dogs and then is life-long. If she has had seizures her whole life, then epileptic seizures are possible.

For the head/nose pressing this may indicate a headache or be one of the abnormal behaviors that comes after a seizure. With this many seizures in such a short time frame her brain has probably not had a chance to really recover, which can lead to some bizarre abnormal, possibly repetitive behaviors.

There is not much you can do at home. When a dog is cluster seizing like this, it requires an emergency visit for intravenous medication to stop the seizures. So, if you want to wait until your vet opens, please get her in as soon as you can for this treatment, and then likely plan to leave her there for the day for monitoring for more.

She is going to need some testing to look for our more treatable conditions which may require lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check, tick-borne disease screening) and blood pressure evaluation.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey