Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

S eye is bothering m. Squinty, kinda swollen and now has

Customer Question

His eye is bothering him. Squinty, kinda swollen and now has some buildup
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rufio ~2.5 years old
JA: How old is Rufio?
Customer: 2.5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rufio?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything I can do tonight before taking him to the vet in the morning?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Are you seeing any haze or clouding to the eyeball itself?

When you say its swollen, do you mean the pink tissues around the eye? Or the eyeball?

What color build up are you seeing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Swollen around the eye. Not seeing a hazing but that could be me just not looking for the right thing. Build up seems to be clear/white
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that the eyeball is normal in size, since changes (ie glaucoma, eye rupture, etc) to that would require urgent care from his vet. That aside, if we have a bit of peri-orbital swelling, squinting, and clear discharge; this is usually a sign of traumatic injury to the eye. The most common issue will be corneal ulcers/erosions, lacerations, foreign bodies caught under the eyelid, but also blunt force trauma. We can see this with conjunctivitis, but that clear discharge fits more with tearing from discomfort then infection.

With this all in mind, we do need to tread with care since eyes are so delicate. Still, since his signs sound mild, you can start some supportive care for him. Specifically, you flush the eye with OTC eye safe saline (ie first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This will help remove anything caught, rinse away any irritants, and is a mild antiseptic that can keep bacteria at bay. As well, if he is rubbing the area, we may need to put an e-collar on him for the short term to ensure he doesn't worsen the eye situation. Finally, you can use OTC artificial tears (non-medicated and nothing for "getting the red out") to just soothe the eye.

Once his vet is open, they can stain the eye to look for those traumatic changes, check for anything caught, and dispense either antibiotic drops or anti-inflammatory ones to soothe the eye and get it back to normal for Rufio.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He also seems to be extremely parched. Is that a sign of anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Do you mean he looks dehydrated? Are his eyes sunken, his skin tenting when lifted, or gums sticky/dry?

Has he been drinking normally?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He doesn't look dehydrated he sounds dehydrated but he's been drinking water. He just smacks his gums more than normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Ah, lip smacking in this situation likely is a stress behaviour secondary to discomfort. As well, since tears can drain down into the nasopharynx, this could be a reaction to that as well. So, if we can get him comfortable that should just settle.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.