Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Is aspirin a safe alternative to previcox in dogs?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Usan

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The situation is that aspirin and Previcox are the same class of drug { NSAIDS or Non steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs } so there is probably nothing to choose between them in terms of safety, but the Previcox is likely to be more effective than the aspirin for a dog with arthritis.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

3. Be aware that some owners give glucosamine at the same time as aspirin and the two may work well together. { Glucosamine can and frequently is given to dogs for joint pain and arthritis. } Many vets including myself will suggest the human formulation as it is cheaper, my personal advice to clients is that a typical dose rate would be :

For dogs 25 to 50 pounds (15 to 25 kg), Two capsules every 24 hours.

For dogs 50 to 100 pounds (25 to 50 kg), Three capsules every 24 hours.

{ Based on a 500 mg glucosamine formulation }

Products like glucosamine are on the borderline between being a drug and a food additive and are regarded as being extremely safe and unlikely to cause any side effect.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how KK is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of aspirin in dogs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Usan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kk. How is everything going?