Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Not sure if he ate a frog, there are several croaking

Customer Question

Not sure if he ate a frog, there are several croaking outside at night and I did see one on the patio this afternoon. He is restless, drooling, some panting, his stomach seems like it is swelled up a little, but he did eat this afternoon, Also there were some cherry pits in a paper plate, I don't think he got into any of them. He is a black lab, about 70 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jake, and he is about 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake,?
Customer: No, he is basically an inside dog but does go outside several times a day. Ne needs a bath, I haven't been able to take him to the vet on a regular basis, but he is always playful until today. He chews on sticks in the yard and loves to chase them, but tonight he is just not the same as usual.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding to you.

You are correct to be concerned he may have eaten something, given the drooling. The only frogs/toads we worry tremendously about are bufo toads, which can be toxic. All others may cause some transient mouth irritation. Cherry pits are a problem if chewed up. There are certainly other issues that could be going on such as bloat (the stomach flips, also called gastric dilatation volvulus), organ problem (liver, kidney), pancreatitis, infection, etc.

The absolute best next step is to have him seen as soon as possible today. He needs an exam followed by some lab testing to try to rule out some the things I mentioned, which might include a complete blood count, chemistry profile and urine check. And, then he may need radiographs (X-rays) if your vet becomes very concerned he may have swallowed something or is experiencing a bloat. The sooner he is seen, the better, given his discomfort and some of the potential underlying problems can become rapidly life-threatening.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My dog died about 1-1/2 hours after I submitted the question. I don't know what happened. He was playing about 7:30 in the evening, I noticed he was acting kind of restless a little after 9 P.M. I thought he was sick from eating a frog and would be alright, but decided to get online and give his symptoms to the online vet and was waiting to hear the answer. I can't see to drive very good at night so was hesitant to try to get to the emergency vet which was about an hour away. I wish I had tried, but he weighed about 80 lbs and I don't even know it I could have got him in the car. I did notice his stomach seemed too full but I thought he was sick from eating the frog. He did try to throw up a couple of times, but nothing came out. He also was slobbering a little and his tongue looked kind of funny, like lighter in color. I don't know what happened. From 7:30 when he was fine and running around the yard, to about 9:30 when we first noticed something was wrong, we were still thinking he had an upset stomach, hoping he would throw up whatever was ailing him. but he died before midnight. We are still totally shocked and don't really know what happened. He was perfectly healthy as far as we could tell until Sunday night. If he had gotten sick on Monday morning, I could have gotten him to the vet, about 5 minutes from the house. I sure do miss him, we got him when he was 3 months old in 2007. If there is any consolation, he got to play with the grand kids who were here all weekend. He was an inside dog, and only went out a few times a day and never stayed out all night, we have a privacy fence, he was never allowed to roam around the neighborhood. I don't know what happened.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Oh, I am so very sad to hear this. Based on what you report I wonder if he bloated, which means his stomach twisted (gastric dilatation volvulus). The signs of this can be vague with acting nauseated and then dry heaving. It can be very tough to treat and the earlier detected the better the possible outcome but there are so many issues that happen with this that in many cases even if detected early and with surgical intervention dogs may still die. :(