Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Our maltipoo have a diarrhea and vomiting since morning : I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, our maltipoo have a diarrhea and vomiting since morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't know , but he is 10 month old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jeffrey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jeffrey?
Customer: When we bought him he was two month old and after 3 days he got sick , later when we went to emergency , they told us he had a piro virus and he is not going to make it. But we brought him home and my husband started to treat him with alternative way. He got well and during this 8 month he was great healthy and loving dog.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about how Jeffrey is doing. If he is exhibiting vomiting and diarrhea, and this has been going on throughout the day, he needs to get in to a vet. I am concerned this is not just a routine dietary indiscretion. At this age, concerns for foreign body ingestion and/or obstruction is quite high.

You can give a teaspoon or two of pepto bismol, but I strongly advise the vet visit for likely some abdominal x-rays. Plus, they can offer some good medications to help the stomach and intestinal tract. One example is a drug called cerenia, that is a once-a-day anti-vomiting drug. Another medication for stomach only, is over the counter Pepcid A.C. antacid. If around 10 pounds, you would give a 1/4 tablet of a 10mg pepcid a.c. regular strength tablet. If 15 pounds or more, a 1/2 tablet is fine. But, again, I would not use either drug as a replacement for the ER trip since Jeffrey sounds quite ill.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?