Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

15 year old lab, extremely lethargic, has been lying down

Customer Question

15 year old lab, extremely lethargic, has been lying down all day, has trouble standing, can't walk without falling, heavy low breathing, hasn't had anything to eat or drink all day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fuji
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fuji?
Customer: She has bad arthritis, and has had trouble walking for the past couple months, but this is the first day she has barely stood up. I can't get her to get up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

So sorry to hear about Fuji's problems, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over as soon as possible.

I say this because : A Lab of fifteen is like a person of ninety years of age, in fact few Labs ever reach this age group so like a person of ninety Fuji could be suffering from some very serious age related disease such as organ failure through to something minor such as an infection of some sort where she is running a temperature and so is weak.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case this is just impossible, all you can do until you can get her to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and try and make sure she is taking fluids regularly.

I am so sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Fuji is getting on after our recent dialogue and to check if you need any further advice ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.