Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

I live in AZ and have a 10-12 year old 65 pond male mixed

Customer Question

I live in AZ and have a 10-12 year old 65 pond male mixed dog. He does have lower back issues. I have just moved into a second floor condo from a house. In the am, Wyatt is eager to go down the steps and out for a walk! As it gets hotter, he refuses to go down the steps. He puts his head down, sometimes it touches the ground and refuses to go down the steps. I have to carry him down! He can up the steps just fine. Is it the heat? It is 113 today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.

There are a few tests you can do.

Does it cool off there at night? On a cool day or later at night see if he will go down the steps. If not then it may be his back rather than the heat.

Is he food motivated? You can try luring him down the stairs with his favorite treat.

My other test idea is to give him some human aspirin for 2 days.

Try one 325 mg of aspirin every 12 hours for 2 days. Give it with a meal to help prevent gastrointestinal upset. If he is fine going down the stair on aspirin then it is most likely pain related.

If it is pain then seeing the vet is a good idea as there are more effective medications, and those that are safer for long term use, than aspirin.

If he is already on pain medication let me know and skip the aspirin.

Does that give you some ideas to try? Do you have any additional questions?