jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog is whinning and rattling in s cage he won't stop

Customer Question

my dog is whinning and rattling in his cage he won't stop
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is he eating and drinking normally today?

Has he been eliminating normally?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

When did this start?

What have you tried so far?

Is he normally quiet in his cage?

I was hoping to get a response back to my request for more informaiton but don't want you to go without an answer either.

Many older dogs can develop health issues fairly quickly especially older dogs and at 9 a shepherd is considered elderly. If he is not eating and drinking normally or if he has excessive diarrhea or is vomiting, I'd go ahead and have him seen by your vet for a senior check up.

If he is otherwise fine, then it is possible he is developing Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) and has been seen in younger than your dog. There is a wonderful site that explains it well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet.

The good news is that there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs. Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

I would also rule out an external cause for the behavior such as something outside, etc. A bout of loose stools will cause a dog to act in this manner as well. If you feel this might be the cause you might try a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food to help stop loose stools.

If you want to answer the questions I asked, it may help narrow down what might be the cause. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.