Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

The dog just ate 10 mg of furosemide and 5 mg vetmedin meant

Customer Question

The dog just ate 10 mg of furosemide and 5 mg vetmedin meant for another dog
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 12 years old He's a cockaspanial His name is Howard
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Howard?
Customer: He takes 0.4 mg of Levocrine and 25 mg of Carprofen every 12 hours he ate the other pills instead
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

10 mg of furosemide is of no consequence. It's a dose I might initiate in a 20 lb dog in need of a diuretic. You're likely to see the expected diuretic effect. How much does Howard weight, please, so I can know how the pimobendan might affect him?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He weighs 12 lb

Thank you. 10 mg/12 lbs (0.83 mg/lb) of furosemide is a safe and moderate dose. 5 mg/12 lbs (0.42 mg/lb) of pimobendan is 3.7X the dose of pimobendan given twice daily to my patients. Thankfully, it's not considered a dose likely to cause acute toxicity unless Howard has a history of heart disease in which pimobendan would be contraindicated. I don't expect your seeing any adverse effect from his dietary indiscretion although a transient increase in heart rate and vomiting might arise.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?