Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She yipes when we pick her up - she seems not herself and

Customer Question

She yipes when we pick her up - she seems not herself and isn't running around or jumping like she normally does
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: We don't know like I said she yipes when we lift her and won't run & jump like usual
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Around the ribs I think middle
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: No it doesn't and when I pet her she doesn't make any sounds of discomfort. I haven't seen her eat today
JA: OK, abnormal eating. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Just that she seems in pain when we pick her up in the middle
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Faith and she is 4 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

Which breed is Faith, please? Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be the most important differential diagnosis in such a dog particularly if Faith is a miniature breed or certain breeds at risk for a slipped disk.. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in his back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Faith's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about your dog's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves futher.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), she'll need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Faith is a dachshund - thank you for your response

As you're probably aware, doxis are the poster breed for degenerative disk disease. Please have her vet take a look at her at your earliest convenience. I see an NSAID, narcotic analgesic, and skeletal muscle relaxant in Faith's future. Please keep her as immobile as possible until she can be attended to. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you - I'll take her to her Vet tomorrow.

Sounds good. You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do- thanks again

I appreciate it.