Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My Shar-Pei has been itching, scratching and chewing her

Customer Question

My Shar-Pei has been itching, scratching and chewing her legs until they bleed. Have had to have a cone on her to reduce/stop the damage. Needless to say, the cone needs to be off for eating and drinking and she takes that short opportunity to chew on her legs.
Our regular vet thought she had scabies and started her on a series of Ivermectin shots once a week for 5 weeks. She has had 3 shots and actually seems worse. The vet said we should have seen improvement after the 2nd shot. He (and a dermatologist specialist) did scrapings on the skin which came up negative for parasites also.
Have tried several different anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoos, leave-on soothing lotions to no avail.
I am open to any advice ...
HELP! She is SO miserable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby.

Usually the veterinary dermatologist is able to help you so that is too bad. I do not want to repeat anything that has already been tried. What else has been tried besides the skin scraping, ivermectin, and special shampoos?