Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog ate s pet armor flea and tick collar should I be

Customer Question

My dog ate his pet armor flea and tick collar should I be worried. It does not contain ameitraz
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. Can you tell me how long ago this happened? I assume he is doing fine, no signs of any problem correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Probably an hour ago. He seems fine

I can't find the list of ingredients for the collar. Most of the Pet Armor produce have fipronil as their active ingredient, but I don't know for sure about the collar. Do you have the box/label? Can you tell me what the active ingredient is? If not, I will continue to try to find it.

I found it... it is the same as the scalibor collar. Give me a minute and I'll type a complete answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is correct

So the active ingredient is Deltamethrin. This is a synthetic pyrethroid similar permethrin which undergoes rapid biotransformation by liver enzymes, which limit their systemic toxicity.

So... it is likely that your dog will be fine. The liver will clear the toxin before it has an effect, but it depends somewhat on how much deltamethrin was in the collar, how big your dog is, and how efficient his liver is. And for many of these factors there is no way to know.... was the collar new? If it was new I'd be more concerned. If your dog is small I'd be more concerned.

Signs of toxicosis include salivation, vomiting ypersalivation, hyperexcitability, tremors, ataxia (loss of balance), and weakness. Dogs more frequently exhibit mild to moderate tremors and ataxia.

If you wanted to be on the safe side, you could take him to a veterinarian to get some activated charcoal to help bind any toxin left in the intestine and to have him monitored for symptoms. If not, then just watch close and have them looked at if he has any signs of toxicity. Most of the time they will be fine, but there are so many factors at play that we can't be sure.

The other concern is that the collar could present a risk of blockage. This would depend on how well he chewed it and if there were any large pieces swallowed. If you see vomiting, definitely get him checked out.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He weights about 50 lbs and the collar is a little over a month old

Hopefully he will do fine, but I don't know how much was left in the collar so keep a close eye on him for the next few days.... it can last in their system for a long time.