Cynthia Metcalf
Cynthia Metcalf,
Experience:  Veterinarian at East Bay SPCA
88335079

Throwing up and it stinks. He isnt interested in food and

Customer Question

Throwing up and it stinks. He isnt interested in food and isnt himself. Wants to lay down and is very mellow..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We gave him pepto and then some mira lax.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cynthia Metcalf replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry your pet isn't well. Would you mind telling me more about him. Age, breed, previous health issues?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
6 mos. Rott bully mix. No previous health issues.

Has he been fully vaccinated against Parvo virus? Are you noticing any blood in his vomit or stool?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is up to date on shots and we havent noticed any fresh stools and no blood in vomit. Vomit smells awful. We r thinking he is constipated and he just cant get rid of anything so he is throwing up. He isnt interested in food either.

Good to hear that he's vaccinated. Unfortunately, vomiting and a lack of interest in food could be something more serious than just constipation. Does he like to chew on things or eat non-food items?

What type of food does he like to eat?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is on authority brand dog food. He could have as he is outside during the day when we are home. If we arent home he isnt out.

How long has he been vomiting and not wanting to eat? What would he have access to in the yard that he may have swallowed? Rocks? Sticks? Plastics? Rodent or ant bait?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This would be day 3. Nit interested for 2 days. Rocks or sticks. No bait for rodents or anything used.

I'm sorry to say, but this sounds quite serious. I would recommend getting him to a veterinary clinic right away. If there is a blockage, whether it be from a foreign object or feces he needs medical attention right away. Animals can become dangerously dehydrated when they haven't eaten or drank and are losing fluids through vomiting.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you

Good luck. I hope you are able to get him in today and that he gets better. Rotties are sweet pups.