Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5lb holland lop got hold of my silk/cotton scarf last

Customer Question

My 5lb holland lop got hold of my silk/cotton white scarf last night or this am, and there are a few holes missing in the 2x2" range plus small bites. He was ok to get his usual am parsley/carrot treats, but now is laying in his litter box shaking. Can this pass or what would you recommend I do, especially on a Sunday?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is he eating anything at this point?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Is he passing stool normally? Straining to go?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you. Though as this is a real worrisome situation for your lad, I do want to leave my thoughts.

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about your lad. There is a chance he can pass the fabric, but if he is showing signs of feeling unwell we do need to tread with great care. Especially because it does take a lot of discomfort for a prey species like a rabbit to show us overt signs of their being uncomfortable.

With this in mind, if he goes off his food/water at any point or shows any of those signs I noted, we’d want to have him seen urgently. The same if he remains uncomfortable or develops belly pain. Otherwise, we can try to help him pass this material. To do so, we’d want to increase his fiber intake. You can offer more hay (reduce or remove his pellets) +/- syringe feed canned pumpkin. As well, we can also treat him with cat hair ball medication or even a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose, food grade mineral oil). These all need to be given carefully and could be added to the canned pumpkin or any veggie baby food. The aim with these is that the fiber will help push the fabric through the gut and the GI lubricants will help it slip through. Of course, if we don’t see it out the other end in the next 24 hours or he has a reduction in stool production (a sign of blockage or secondary emergency stasis); then we’d again want him to his vet urgently so they can palpate +/- xray to determine if there is a blockage that requires treatment.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Carla Henderson,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet