Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog jacked a piece of Texas Toast last nite from table.

Customer Question

my dog jacked a piece of Texas Toast last nite from table. It was garlic toast. This morning her mouth is very swollen, she has been itching all nite and I can't tell if her tongue is swollen I am assuming so because of the swelling on her upper snot around her month. Please what can/should I do. Concerned and worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

It might be a reaction to the garlic. Garlic is toxic to dogs and can often cause allergic reactions.

How much does Sadie weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
she is a 45 pounder. Med sz female
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

I would give a dose of benadryl and continue it in case this is a reaction to the garlic.

You should give 50 mg (two 25mg tablets) every 8 hours for the next 3 days. That should help to calm things down.

If there is no improvement by tomorrow, I recommend seeing a vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank u very much.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
U confirmed my thoughts but I needed that confirmation from an expert. Thanx again for your help. Enjoy your Sunday
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you and your dog the best.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello

I just wanted to check in. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you. I see you have not yet rated this conversation. Is there anything else I can help you with at this time? Is there any other information I can help you with? Please reply back if you need any further help, otherwise please accept and rate this conversation so we know you no longer need our help. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Dr. G, she is doing very well, we followed your suggestion of the Benedryl. The swelling was gone in less than 2 days. She was sick to her stomach (dog barf in livingroom) but I got her to her regular Dog Doctor and she checked out fine. She only received 2 days of Benedryl instead of recommended amount. But she was just chipper after the 1st dose. Our personal vet said we did right thing following your suggestion. SHE WILL NEVER HAVE ACCESS TO GARLIC TOAST EVER AGAIN. We will be much more diligent when it comes to food on table. Thank you so much u saved her much discomfort and u saved us the same. We love her, she is the "girlfriend" and junior Queen in our home, I being major Queen/boss. My husband is grateful also. Thanx again for your help and your follow up
T.McCaslin
P.S. Her name is Sadie