Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Dog is making loud gargling noise like when humans have

Customer Question

Dog is making loud gargling noise like when humans have something stuck in their throat. He was recently stung on the eye by a small bee and he is constantly chasing them. I fear he may have been stung on inside of his throat. Gave him Benadryl but still continues to make the noise. Not lethargic or irritable but it's obviously bothering him. What can we do or is a vet needed for medication??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If your dog is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, your dog can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give your dog 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of your dog's weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so you dog is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine your dog to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease or a bee sting. This is possible and will cause swelling in the oral cavity and this may be the cause of this gagging noise. It is also good to give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. These medications can be given together without harming your guy. If there is no improvement, I would certainly take him to your vet to be sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****