Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My name is kelvin my female as only came into to heat one

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** female as only came into to heat one time she is about 4 years old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: is there any thing i can feed here to make her comr into heat
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she not hurting any where she have not came into heat that is the problem
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

How frustrating if you plan to breed her. Unfortunately, there is not anything you can feed her to get her to come into heat. There is nothing over-the-counter that you can do. She may be one of our dogs who has "silent heats" where she actually does cycle but has no discharge. Or, she is not cycling. Some larger breed dogs may not come into heat even the first time until she is 30 months of age as a "normal." If you want to breed her, then it is time to reach out to your veterinarian or ask your veterinarian to refer you to speak with a reproductive specialist. Generally, we start the search to figure out what is going on by screening her for endocrine issues, especially low thyroid that might be causing this. If her lab work is great, then some imaging is usually done on the ovaries/uterus (ultrasound) to search for problems. If nothing is found and she seems to be anatomically correct with no underlying medical problems your vet can perhaps help you stimulate her to come into heat using drug therapy (hormones), but this is not something you can do yourself at home. This is a very carefully timed treatment that must be regulated by a veterinarian.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey