Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My 72 lb. golden retriever just licked some Holly tone

Customer Question

my 72 lb. golden retriever just licked some Holly tone fertilizer off a plant I had just fertilized.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the golden retriever will be able to digest that. What is the golden retriever's name and age?
Customer: Shelby, age 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shelby?
Customer: no--she is very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This fertilizer looks to be mostly nitrogen. Assuming she had a lick and only ate a small amount (not straight from the bag), then the amount ingested was probably small. Fertilizers are usually salts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (N-P-K, thus the 3 numbers on the bag, e.g. 13-5-8). As such, they are not terribly toxic, but ingestion of a large amount can (as with any excess salt ingestion) cause digestive tract upset (vomiting and maybe diarrhea) that is usually short-term and essentially once they puke/poop out all the irritating salt, the upset stops. The most we might is expect vomiting soon after ingestion and possibly diarrhea, although sounds like the amount eaten was small. I would expect these signs to resolve quickly. If they do not and Shelby develops profuse vomiting/diarrhea, then she needs to be seen on emergency. Then we run into dehydration/electrolyte problems.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.