Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic

My puppy has red blotchy bump all over m that are causing m

Customer Question

My puppy has red blotchy bump all over him that are causing him to stractch to the point he cries out all the time and is always stretching and nothing I've done has helped him any
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Loky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Look?
Customer: He is around four weeks old and he was giving to me a lil over a week ago from a police officer who rescued him out of a house math was being cooked in and he was horribly under weight when I received him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 4 months ago.

That sounds like he may be having an allergic reaction- do you know how much he weighs? You can try benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound given orally every 8 hours. Make sure it is JUST benadryl (diphenhydramine) with no decongestants added (decongestants can be fatal to dogs). If that doesn't help within 45 minutes, it's going to be safest to get him to the nearest emergency clinic to have him evaluated. Good luck to you and Loky! - Dr. C

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been giving him benadryl and giving him baths with baby shampoo and also putting hydrocortisone cream all over him . I've spent the last two days also pulling well over 50 to 60 seed tricks off him . He has stratched so much he maaakes himself bleed

Wow, that sounds terrible for him! It definitely sounds like you have tried everything you can at home. It may be time to try some systemic steroids to get his itching under control- I'd fine the nearest emergency clinic before he causes a secondary infection from self trauma. Good luck to you both!

Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I would like to help you with your question today. There are many things that can cause itching in dogs, especially young puppies. Many skin conditions look similar, but it would be helpful to submit a photo so I can see what the puppy looks like. Because the puppy came from a rough start, it is quite possible that what he is suffering from is a skin parasite -- such as a mite or ringworm. These are things that cannot be seen unless a sample of the surface skin is looked at under the microscope. They are terribly itchy and can spread to humans as well.

Because of the puppy's age, it would be best to have him looked at by a vet. Unfortunately we are not able to prescribe medication so beyond giving you information and taking a look at a photo, I will be limited on how I can help. If you have further questions though or can send a picture, I'd be happy to take a look.