Dani Rabwin
Dani Rabwin,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Broadway Pet Hospital
94504053

She can't bark. Well she darks but it not her normal bark. :

Customer Question

She can't bark. Well she darks but it not her normal bark.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Her bark isn't normal
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She let's us rug her and play with her but when she tryst to dark it's a soft bark
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Meka and she's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meka?
Customer: She's a pit bull
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dani Rabwin replied 8 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Dani and I'll be happy to help with Mika. Can you tell me how long she has had a change in her bark? is there any cough? is she still active and eating normally? Any other information you can give me would be great, and then I'll be able to make some recommendations.

And please remember to rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is how I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just since earlier today. I've been playing with her and she's been acting normal.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She hasn't been coughing just acting like she's trying to clear her throat

That's great that she is acting normal! Does she have contact with other dogs? When I hear of a bark or voice change in dogs, I think of viral infections such as kennel cough that can come from other dogs. In addition, small growths on the vocal chords such as benign polyps or other growths can cause voice change. If she goes to day care, dog parks, or out with a dog walking group then a virus is certainly possible. Please let me know if any of these apply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No,none of that applies to Meka. She's a house dog.

If she sounds like she is trying to clear her throat, then kennel cough is still a possibility. Does she go to a groomer? Does she meet dogs on a walk?

I recommend you encourage her to drink (offer chicken broth or pedialyte with water) and offer soft foods in case her throat is sore. If you take her to your vet when they are open they can examine her and possibly take an x-ray to determine what the cause is, or possibly recommend further testing.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Please make sure you rate me when you are satisfied with your answer as this is how I am compensated for my time. Thanks!

Hi there I am just checking in to see if you were satisfied with the information you received. If so, please remember to rate me. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. Thanks!