Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Found m with string from blanket wrap around s foot. 't know

Customer Question

Found him with string from blanket wrap around his foot. Don't know how long was. Foot is swallow and pibl
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tippy. 18 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tippy?
Customer: Don't think so. He has a flea issue and give him flea med like frontline but still chews himselh
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

When there is ANY visible swelling, it automatically justifies a ER vet visit. We don't know to what degree there is soft tissue damage, and if any tissue was deprived of oxygen or too long which can lead to necrosis of the skin.

Unfortunately, not a great situation for a wait and see approach. A vet can offer some pain management and likely some steroid therapy to try and quickly resolve the swelling.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His foot is back to about the normal size after 30 mins from being twice the size. His color is more pink than red
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

That is good. I would still suggest the vet follow up to ensure there is no other internal trauma to the deeper tissues including any tendon or ligament injury.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's 2 hrs away for 24 hour vet. He should be ok till morning to see his normal vet ?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

I wish I knew for sure. Without my own examination, any answer would be made up. So, don't want to devalue the quality of my response. It sounds like the paw is improving, but not certain about internal injury.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anything to suggest to maybe help his foot get back more circulation of just let him walk on it.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

Yes, allow walking. A gentle massage of the paw, as long as it is not exhibiting pain, would encourage circulation.

Not a lot. Just a gentle massage for a minute or two.

When you rate, it will close the question for me. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

I hope all is going okay and my responses were satisfactory. May I be of any further assistance?