Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My mini dachsi hunches over tail down walks slowly as if it

Customer Question

My mini dachsi hunches over tail down walks slowly as if it hurts. She also drools at times. She's peeing and pooping and nose it wet and cold. She's eating and drinking. If I go her aspirin she acts as if nothing's wrong. But once it wears off she's whimpering shaking and hunched over in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes . There's nothing on any paw. Also I can message her with no discomfort except when the aspirin wears off
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tootsie age six
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tootsie?
Customer: No she's been healthy until now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

You must proceed very carefully. Th drooling would suggest possible nausea or a intra-oral (mouth) problem. If due to nausea, then the source of the pain and hunching over would suggest something inside the belly. However! For the breed, we cannot rule-out spinal problems.

Now, aspirin might slightly help musculoskeletal issues, but it could be very dangerous to give if there is stomach distress.

So, without question, it is time to get in to a vet for evaluation.

Clearly, none of these symptoms is typical, and even though it seems to resolve with aspirin, it shouldn't be occurring at all.

My primary worry is for the spine, and therefore, more appropriate anti-inflammatory therapy and pain medicine is warranty.

Well worth a vet trip.

Hope that information helps.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?