Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My doberman is having some very disturbing symptoms,

Customer Question

My doberman is having some very disturbing symptoms, difficult breathing, no appetite or thirst, nasal and eye discharge, severe lethargy and very cold feet. I have gotten some baby food and water in him with an oral syringe but not much, and he has barely moved all day. It came on fast, he is normally food picky but he completely stopped eating yesterday and stopped willingly drinking water today. He is a rescue so I'm not sure of his age or former health, but other than some allergies, he's been healthy for the 2 years I've had him until now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear how he is feeling. The combination of these symptoms, at this age, and for this breed warrants an emergency vet visit. A dog should not be exhibiting any labored or difficult breathing. For a dobie, that could represent possible stomach bloat, primary lung problems, addominal pain or other pain. That is in addition to the fact you are observing lethargy, a loss of appetite, and uncharacteristic ye and nasal discharge. The discharge could suggest some secondary respiratory infection. There is far too much going on to recommend a wait and see approach, which could severely contribute to his decline. This is well worth a vet visit, and I do truly feel its worth the ER trip.

I would expect a vet to possibly recommend a basic blood test, and maybe some chest x-rays, depending on how the chest sounds or if they can't easily determine why the breathing is labored.

I hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?