Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

He ate a heating pad and has thrown up several times. He ate

Customer Question

Hi, He ate a heating pad and has thrown up several times. He ate out several hours ago. I just fed him, He ate and threw up shortly after. He's drinking water and acting mostly normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luke 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luke?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Luke ate a heating pad. Did he vomit up the pad or pieces of this? Do you feel all of it came back up?

My top concern, considering he vomited after eating, is there is a piece of the heating pad (or the whole thing?) trapped in his stomach. This may not pass, given the nature of the material. I am not worried the material, itself, is toxic but that this could cause a significant digestive tract obstruction.

The absolute best next step for Luke would be to have him seen tonight on emergency. He really needs radiographs (X-rays) to assess if he is obstructed. If he is, then the vet can try to determine if there is a piece in his stomach, if this can be removed via endoscopy or if it is entirely trapped if surgery is needed. Alternatvely, a partial obstruction which means it may be trying to pass through but causing a lot of upset on the way, may be improved with supportive care from the ER vet (fluid therapy helps tremendously).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.